BOATUS Memebership   

MENU Resize to Fit-Double Tap Screen
New Boat Builders Home Page Logo Everything Boat Building
Don't tell me that I can't. Tell me how I can.
Disclaimer:   I am not a spokesperson for the US Coast Guard or ABYC. For an official interpretation of regulations or standards you must contact the US Coast Guard or other organization referenced..   More.....

Go here for Print Friendly Page


What warning labels are required on recreational boats? Safe load capacity, blower warning labels, certification labels and more.

Capacity Labels: 33 CFR 181.21 -181.27 Monohull boats under 20 feet except canoes, kayaks, inflatables, and sailboats, are required to have a capacity label. The label in figure 1, is for outboard boats, rowboats, pedal boats and the like. The dimensions given are the minimum allowed. It is suggested you make them larger. This label is there for people to see, so make it visible. Also it must be placed where the operator of the boat can easily see it. So don't hide it. It must be permanently affixed, meaning it's not supposed to fall off, come unglued or whatever. However, don't put it on with screws because then it can be easily removed. You want this to stay with the boat, forever! It also has to be made so it won't fade in the sun or due to heat, cold, rain, snow, ice, or whatever. It has to be the colors shown. In case your monitor doesn't display the colors right, the background color for the mid section is yellow.

Capacity Label

For other types of boats use the following labels. The dimensions are the same.

2 HP label Manual Label
Sterndrive Label


Delete the words U S COAST GUARD at the top of the label. You may also have to delete the certification statement at the bottom of the label.

To make your own labels see

How to Make a Label

Ventilation: Blower Warning Label 33 CFR 183.610
 See also ventilation

If you are required to have powered ventilation you must have a label, called a Blower Warning Label. It can be anywhere on the control station but must be near the ignition switch. In other words, next to the key, or starter button. It must say words to the effect:

Blower Label

Certification Label: 33 CFR 181.5 - 181.19

Any boat that has to meet some Federal Requirement but not Capacity, Flotation, or Horsepower must have at least a certification label. For instance, if the boat must meet the Electrical, Fuel Systems, Ventilation, or Navigation Lights regulations then there must be a certification label.  That is simply a label mounted in plain view with the following words. This label may be combined with the capacity label. It must contain the name and place of manufacture.

certification label


When do I not need a certification Label?

If the only Federal requirement you must meet is to have a Hull Identification number (such as in small sailboats, inflatables, etc) then you cannot have the certification statement, because there is nothing to certify. However, if you install navigation lights then you must have the certification statement.

ABYC Labels

The American Boat And Yacht Council (ABYC)has developed a a label that combines all the various warnings into one label.  If your boat needs many warning labels this may be the way to go.

ABYC Combined Warning Label


International Labels:  For boats being sold in the European Union.  These boats must comply with the Recreational Craft Directive.  For information see:

Guideline Number 7 €“ ISO Builder€™s Plate/US Boat capacity labels

Fuel Tank Labels: 33 CFR 183.514 Gasoline fuel tanks for boats must have a label certifying that they have been subjected to a Static Pressure Test.
See Fuel Systems

  The label looks like this: 

Fuel Tank Label

It doesn't have to look exactly like this but must contain the information seen on this label. That required information is: 

Manufacturers Name and address:

Month and Year of Manufacture

Capacity in US gallons

Material of Construction

Pressure the tank is designed to withstand without leaking

Model number is applicable

The statement:  This tank has been tested under 33 CFR 183.510(a)

If the tank is tested under §183.584 at less than 25g vertical accelerations the statement, Must be installed aft of the boat's half length."

EPA Label Requirement:  Gasoline fuel tanks must contain an EPA statement:


This label may be combined with the USCG label, or it may be separate.

See 33 CFR183.514 for the full requirements for the labels.

Copyright 2010 All rights reserved. revised 06/22/2018

American Boat And Yacht Council  Boat Design Net  Wooden Boat Foundation
This Web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my efforts to advance understanding of educational, economic, and scientific issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this Web site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit educational purposes. For more information see: If you wish to use copyrighted material from this Web site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.