MENU Resize to Fit-Double Tap Screen
New Boat Builders Home Page Logo Everything Boat Building
Don't tell me that I can't. Tell me how I can.
Disclaimer:   I am not a spokesperson for the US Coast Guard or ABYC. For an official interpretation of regulations or standards you must contact the US Coast Guard or other organization referenced..   More.....

Go here for Print Friendly Page

EPA Regulations for Recreational Boats Evaporative Emissions and Exhaust Emissions

The  ABYC publication, USCG EPA Regulations for Recreational Boats, is available.  This technical resource provides a convenient reference for the laws and regulations which govern the design and construction of boats in consideration of fuel and exhaust emissions mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency. The excerpts of the government publication contain all the amendments that were available as of the date of publication, September, 2009, and include relevant sections from the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 40, parts 1045 and 1060.

The following is required in the USA after July 31, 2013, for all boats with new gasoline engines (inboard, outboard, PWCs) must comply with the following EPA regulations:

Marine Engine Exhaust Emissions:  Control of emissions of hydrocarbons (HC) , Oxides of Nitrogen (NO) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) This will require catalytic convertors on some engines.  Auxiliary marine engines, such as generators do not have to comply. This is the engine manufacturers responsibility.

Marine Evaporative Emissions: This is vapor that escapes during fueling, from tanks, and through the walls of hoses. The EPA has set fuel vapor permeation limits for tanks and hoses.

Fuel Hose: Must be low permeation not to exceed 15 g/m2 per day.  Hose from the tank to the engine marked USCG A1-15, B1-15. Outboard fuel hoses and primer bulbs.  The boat builder or dealer is responsible for compliance

Fuel Tanks: Must be low permeation not to exceed 15 g/m2 per day.

Diurnal Control:  Diurnal means the difference in temperature between day and night. This results in fuel expansion and contraction which causes venting.
Applies to both permanently installed and portable tanks.
Control Methods: vent system with a 1 PSI pressure relief valve or;
Carbon canister in the vent line.  The size of the carbon canister depends on the size of the boat.
Less than 26 ft. trailerable boats, a canister of 0.40 grams/gal/day
26 ft. or longer, or wider than 8.5 ft. (non-trailerable) 0.16 grams/gal/day; Canister must be protected from direct contact with liquid fuel by  a vapor gap, (ullage - expansion space) in the fuel tank, or;
An external expansion tank

An EPA compliance label is required as shown below: either a separate label or combined with the capacity label.

EPA Certification Label Capacity Label with EPA certification

NMMA Document (download) FAQs on Environmental and Regulatory Issues

EPA Regulations

EPA Manufacturer ID Codes http://epa.gov/otaq/marinesi.htm

EPA Fees http://epa.gov/otaq/fees.htm
pay Electronically at https://www.pay.gov/ 

Boat Carbon Footprint Website http://www.boatcarbonfootprint.com/

Copyright 2010 newboatbuilders.com All rights reserved.  Revised 06/03/2015

American Boat And Yacht Council  Boat Design Net  Wooden Boat Foundation
This Web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my efforts to advance understanding of educational, economic, and scientific issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this Web site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit educational purposes. For more information see: www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this Web site for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.